Crewmember Visa -D Visa

Crewmember Visa (D Visa)

Crewmember (D) visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons  wishing to work on board commercial sea vessels (ships)  or for international airlines in the United States (example flight attendants) , providing services required for normal operation and intending to depart the United States on the same vessel or any other vessel within 29 days.

If you need to travel to the United States to join the vessel you will work on, you will also need a you also need a transit visa (C-1 visa ) in addition to a crewmember visa (D visa) , you can apply for a  combination C-1/D visa.

Spouse or Children  of Crewmembers (D Visa holders)

Your spouse and unmarried, minor children can accompany you, if they will not perform services required for normal operation of the commercial sea vessels (ships)  or for international airlines . they will usually need to apply for a B visa.

If you will be staying in the United states at any time for a period longer than 29 days, you will also require a B visa . for example, if your ship docs in the Unites States for a break of 30 days or more requiring you to stay on land. You can apply for a combination of combination C-1 visa /D visa/ B visa

General information of the B/C and D visa

 B-1 – Non-immigrant visitors for business

  • If you hand only the DS-156 and DS-157 and the passport, they will deny your visa application.
  • Must present evidence to show that you meet the requirements of the visa.
  • The burden of proof is on the applicant to rebut the presumption.
  • Must show foreign company
  • Tax returns
  • Establishment of business
  • Registration
  • Payments
  • Must show letter of invitation from US company
  • Ties to the home country
  • Must document everything you state in the supporting letter.
  • B-1 employment is not competing with local employment for hire. If you’re going to compete with local workers, then it’s going to be a problem.
  • 9. Admission will be for as long as you need for the B-1 activity.

B-2 – Non-immigrant visitors – Visitor for Pleasure

  • Must document ties to the home country
  • Establish the reasons for the trip
  • Put yourself in the position of the adjudicating officer, and think of what you would want to see in order to approve the visa.

D – Visa – Crewman – Working on a ship until they get here, and then gets off for shore leave. Individual C-1/D visas are issued to crew members of international airlines and to aliens required for the normal operation and service of a vessel.

For example, the most commonly issued C-1/D visas are to crewmembers of cruise liners and include, but are not limited to beauticians, entertainers and lifeguards.

Important to note that there are significant limitations as to what a crewman can do later in their lives in the US.

  • 8 CFR 214.2
  • Special document I-95. Crewman’s Landing Permit. 
  • Very limited period of time

Crewmembers who plan to travel to the United States by air or ship for the purpose of joining a ship or aircraft in the United States must also obtain a transit (C-1) visa. Along with their DS-156 application form, crewmembers must submit their seamen’s book and a letter from their employer explaining where and what ship they intend to join.

Crewmembers joining a ship in the United States will normally be granted both a transit visa and a crew visa at the same time.

Alien crewmembers serving aboard a vessel or airplane that will land in the United States must obtain a visa.

The visa symbol is “D”. crewmembers apply using a passport or a seaman’s book along with a letter from the shipping company or airline confirming your employment and when you plan to arrive or dock in the United States.

How to Apply

You must take several steps to apply for a visa. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you apply. Please consult the instructions available on the embassy or consulate website where you will apply. 

Complete the Online Visa Application

  •                     Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160Learn more about completing the DS-160. You must: 1) complete the online visa application and 2) print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview.

                        Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. Your photo must be in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.

Application fee: $160.00

You need to schedule an interview depending of your aged. 13 and younger and 80 and older generally are not required for an interview. Between 14 and 79 generally are required for interview.

Gather and prepare the following required documents before your visa interview:

  • Passport valid for travel to the United States – Your passport must be valid for at least six
  • months beyond your period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements). If more than one person is included in your passport, each person who needs a visa must submit a separate application.
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application,Form DS-160 confirmation page
  • Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview
  • Photo – You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160.